Saturday, April 30, 2016

April Wrap-Up


This month was really productive for me! I didn't get to all of the books on my TBR, but I read half of them. I went on a Cassandra Clare spree this month-most of the books I read this month were by her. Seriously, the Mortal Instrument series is addicting. I have been near nonstop reading it for the past two months, reading one or two books in between them to prolong the experience.

1. City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Techniqually, I started this book in March but I finished it in May so I am going to say it counts ;P I really really really enjoyed it. The ending was perfect-and despite my hatred for perfect endings, I couldn't help but love this one. Cassandra Clare did it really well, making it perfect but not so perfect you hated it for it's cheesiness. Plus, you couldn't really hate an epilogue where Clary and Jace were finally allowed and wanted to be with each other. I gave this book four stars-it wasn't the best in the series so far, but it was really impressive.

2. The Giver by Lois Lowry

I finally read this book! I gave it 4 stars, because I just couldn't give it 5, not sure why though.
 I went into it thinking I would hate it, but I wanted to read it neverthless. I am so glad I did! I know some people who hate this book, and others who love it so I was wary on how I would feel about it. I loved the world, and the plot flowed really well. I never felt as if some things weren't explained enough, or that the plot was dragged out. The ending was tough-but I felt like it suited the book. The Giver had this aura about it, as if there was something mysterious that you would never understand about everything. But that was okay, because it just fit with the book. So the ending really fit with that mood and tone.

3. City of Fallen Angels

Next, I read the next book in the Mortal instruments series, City of Fallen Angels.I gave this 3.75 stars. This book was okay, but was more of a transition from City of Glass to the next book, City of Lost Souls (Lots of cities!). It was as if someone had made a fanfiction of what would happen after City of Glass, and then published it as the next book. Not much happened, so it was kinda boring. Most of the drama that happened was relationship based, or was a very minimal fight or battle. It got more and more interesting as you read on and more things happened, but overall I didn't enjoy it as much as I had the previous 3 books.

4. City of Lost Souls

Continuing my Mortal instruments streak, I read the fifth book in the series. I gave this one 5 stars. This one was my favorite out of all of the ones I had read so far, and definitely made up for City of Fallen Angels. So much happened. So so much. My mind was an emotional mess when I finished this book. The last one hundred pages tore my heart out, then put it together, and then ripped it again over and over. Plot twists were scattered everywhere in the book, and the relationship drama was done fantastically. There wasn't too much too overshadow the main action, but there wasn't too little that the relationships were forgotten. It was simply brilliant, and I loved it.

5. Shadowhunters Codex

It probably won't surprise you that my next one is ALSO related to the Mortal Instruments. I gave this 4 stars. It was super informative, and gave me a much better understanding of the world. It was really rich with information and I found it hard to read all at once, so instead I read it in between books this month. That worked out great. Plus, Clary, Jace, and Simon's little notes in the margins never failed to make me laugh.

So those are the 5 books I read this month! If you want me to write an in depth review of any of them, listing the pros and cons in more depth, comment down below which ones! I hope you all had a good reading month!

No comments:

Post a Comment