Saturday, May 14, 2016

May Recommendations: Friendship Stories

Hey guys! So today I am doing my monthly recommendations for the month of May. Monthly Reccomendations is a goodreads group led by Kayla from Kayla Rayne and Trina from Between Chapters. My recommendations focus more on books where the friendships play a large role in the story. So, without further ado lets go onto the monthly recommendations!


1. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

This book is all about friendship. It focus' on two characters-Jess and Leslie. I won't go too much into the summary, because I feel like this story is best to go into without much knowledge. The friendship in this story is written beautifully. Even though Jess and Leslie have grown up in two completely different backgrounds, they become super close friends and create Terabithia,  a made up kingdom in the woods. Jess learns to trust Leslie, and she becomes his first official 'friend'. It's hard to explain their friendship really, without rambling on about the same things over and over. It's one of those things you have to read to understand. But Jess and Leslie's friendship is just so strong, and beautiful. When I think of book friendships, this is one of the first I think of.


2. Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan 


Ah. The Percy Jackson series. There are tons of friendships in this series, but one of my favorites is the one between Percy and Grover. From the beginning, you are aware of their friendship and how strong it is. And it only gets stronger throughout the books. Grover and Percy would protect each other with their lives, and would do anything to help the other. Even though their friendship isn't the central idea in the series, it is woven into the story of every book. Percy and Grover are as tight as brothers, and I loved watching their friendship grow throughout the series.
3. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

Again, a series with a lot of minor friendships. But my favorite has to be the one between Clary and Simon, which is the friendship shown the most. I love this friendship so freaking much. At first I hated it because I felt like Simon kept getting in the way, but then I slowly warmed up to him and realized how strong his and Clary's friendship was. They had known each other for years, and even when Clary discovered she was a shadowhunter, Simon stuck with her. And when Simon was a doofus and got himself into some crazy predicament, Clary didn't hesitate to go out and save him, even if it meant breaking a thousand rules in the process. And Simon did the same for her. They cared about each other so so so much, and it was awesome to see that.
4. Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy by Trenton Lee Stewart

This series focus' on a friendship between four kids, all of which are orphans. They all meet each other because they had all succeeded in passing a test in the first book. Throughout the trilogy you get to see their friendship grow stronger and stronger as they learn more about each other, and are faced with bigger and bigger challenges. They learn to depend on each other, and overall become really really good friends. They become so close that they are almost like a family by the end. I loved reading about their friendship, because even though all the characters were unique and different they all got along. Not without fights, they do have their fights which only adds to the realistic nature of their friendship.

35. Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling 

This is a pretty obvious one. There are SO many friendships in this series, and I love them all. But the friendship between Harry, Ron, and Hermione is just so perfect. I couldn't go through this list without adding them. Their friendship is just so real. You get to see their friendship grow from when they are tiny 11 year olds to when they are adults. They stick together through EVERYTHING, and would (or should I say do) risk their lives for one another. They have their fights and disagreements, but eventually they get over them just like you do in real life. Gah, this friendship is just the ultimate bookish friendship.
2998
7. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

This book has such wonderful friendships in it. I love love love them! They all come about so naturally. They are all beautiful in their own unique ways. Each one plays a certain role in the book, contributing to the overall awesomeness of the book. All the friendships were so REAL, which I guess is why I loved them so much. Once again, this is one of the first books I think of when I think of friendship stories.


158012268. The Ability duology by M. M. Vaughn

Last but certainly not least is the Ability duology. This series also focuses on friendships, but not exclusively. Its about 6 children who at the age of twelve are brought to a secretive society where they learn to use mind control to help the government. But because they are in a secretive society, the six become good friends. They are all REALLY different, and in the first book not all 6 are the greatest of friends. But as you move into the second book, their friendship gets stronger and they begin to trust each other more and support each other more.


So yeah! Those are my recommended friendship stories. Have you guys read any of these? Oh! And I know I have been posting irregularly lately, but I think I have figured out my schedule. I am going to post on Sundays and Wednesdays, and maybe a random post sometime during the week. If you want an in-depth review on any of these books let me know in comments, and I will do it! Hope you guys are doing well <3

No comments:

Post a Comment