Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Book review: The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan (SPOILERS)


26252859



Hey guys! I just finished Rick Riordan's new book, Trials of Apollo. It's kind of like a continuation of his Heroes of Olympus series, but this time it is in the point of view of the god Apollo. Zeus blamed Apollo for Octavian going all phsyco in the war, and so to punish him he made Apollo mortal and set him out on a quest. He gets dumped into an alleyway of New York and is claimed by Meg, a daughter of Demeter. He then goes to find Percy to bring him and Meg to Camp Half-Blood so he can sort out what is going on and what Zeus wants him to do.

WARNING: SPOILERS

Overall rating: 

Thoughts: I loved this book. Before I get into the details, I want to address something. I know some people feel like Rick should let go of this world, and that he has dragged it out too far. I honestly don't care. Rick created a huge world with thousands of possibilities. I love the world of Demigods and Camp Half-Blood and Camp Jupiter. I won't ever get enough. As long as he isn't using the same characters for every single story (He isn't-I'll get to that later.) I don't mind, because I love this world and all the stories Rick has made from it.

Now that that is out of the way, let's get into the actual review. I gave this book four stars, which in no way means it isn't a fantastic book. It is. It just wasn't the most gripping story-which I understand since it was the first book. This book was mostly a set up book. It explained what was happening, caught you up on what had happened since Blood of Olympus, and (sort of) sets up the rest of the series.

First I'll talk about how I feel about everything that has happened since Blood of Olympus. So yeah, here are my thoughts:

OMG PERCY IS GOING TO HAVE A SISTER WHAT IS THIS CRAZINESS I NEVER THOUGHT THIS WOULD HAPPEN WHAT THE HECK THIS IS INSANE.

Not that I mind. It certainly was a bold move to take, because we all grew up with Percy as an only child, and now his mom is pregnant. Percy is grown up now, studying to pass his senior year and get into the Roman college with Annabeth. It was sad to read about him, all mature and grown. I was like 'Where is the funny witty Percy we read about?" But he is gone. But I feel like that's a good thing, sad as it is. People grow and mature, and it's only natural that that happens to book characters.

AND HOLY HERA WE GET TO SEE LEO AND CALYPSO!!!!!!

I swear, the last 10 pages where we got to see Leo and Calypso were probably my favorite pages of the entire book. Leo hasn't changed a bit, and I missed him soooooooooo much. His humor is just the best, and I didn't realize how much I missed it. And Caleo is just adorable and gahhhhhhhh.

Anyways. The plot was really interesting. Like I said, the story is narrated by Apollo. So the first 100 pages were kind of annoying with him being so self obssessed and everything. But eventually you got used to it, and it became really funny. Also, throughout the book you see Apollo's personality change A LOT. At the end I compared his personality from the beginning and at the end, and it was a huge change. So he went through major character development over the course of the book, which was really interesting to read about.

Meg is also a very interesting character. I can't say I enjoyed her very much-she annoyed me a lot. But I have a feeling she is going to grow on me. Or at least I hope she does. And Peaches. PEACHES IS ADORABLE. Omg, I love peaches.

So yeah, that is my pretty random review of  The Hidden Oracle! I hope you enjoyed it! If you have read it, tell me what you thought of it! I would love to discuss it with anyone :P

No comments:

Post a Comment