Saturday, October 15, 2016

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales

15777621

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

Wow! Long time no talk! Sorry about the long wait, I have had a few computer issues which has made uploading a tad hard. Plus school is crazy. But anyways, lets get onto the book review! I was recommended this book by Emma on emmabooks. You can find her Youtube channel here. Check her out, she is amazing!

I absolutely LOVED this book. I felt like I could really relate to the main characeter, even though she is a few years older then me. The main characters name is Elise, and she struggles from severe depression. No one likes her at her school, and she feels like she has nothing to live for. This story is how she finds her passion, Dj-ing, and discovers what friendship is through it. Over the course of the story you get to watch Elise meet new friends, get rid of old ones, and get through and overcome her depression. I gave this book five stars (or now, music notes!). It is everything I could have asked for, and more. I definitely recommend checking it out! So now, to the spoiler section!

WARNING: SPOILERS

Ok, I am going to start with the characters. I LOVED Elise. I loved her family dynamic, I loved her family, I loved everyone at Start. All of the characters were so unique and worked so perfectly together. I felt like Elise's depression was written really realistically. It was realistic enough that if you have had depression you could relate to it, but it was unique enough that it belonged to Elise. It was Elise's depression, which is what I think is the same for everyone. The main idea of depression is the same, but everyone's is unique with different reasons.


I feel like Chris was a great addition to the story. He added so much demension to the story, and though I was a tad disappointing that he didn't end up with Elise but to be honest that would have been a tad unrealistic. Pippa and Vicky were both great. I loved how they were both opposites of Elise, but they still got along with her. Elise's family had a great dynamic, and I loved how they all worked together. It just fit.

The plot of this book was great. I was constantly entertained, and always wanted to read more. It never got boring or predictable. Everything fit so well together. The sad parts were perfectly evened out with the funny, happy parts. There weren’t any cliche moments, and everything felt super realistic. I could relate to it on every level, from how Elise is the loner at school to her depression. Her thoughts and words didn’t feel fake, or something the author made up. It felt real, which I really appreciated.I love how the book focused more on Elise’s recovery from depression then her actually in depression. It definitely offered a different viewpoint on the mental disorder.

Overall, I thought this book was great. The characters were amazing and the plot was entertaining. This is one of the best books I have read in a while, and has gotten me out of my much hated reading slump. I highly recommend it to everyone and anyone. Don’t be scared because it deals with dark topics (unless you are triggered by those things, then I wouldn’t reccomend it). Otherwise, this book deals with those topics in a light way that doesn’t make them seem less important or normal, but something almost relatable. So if you see this book in your library, I highly suggest you pick it up!







No comments:

Post a Comment